- Life sciences
- Technology and telecommunications
- Private equity
- Corporate tax
Zara is the National Industry Managing Partner of Grant Thornton’s Life Sciences practice. With nearly 30 years of experience in the public accounting industry, Zara leads a national team of more than 400 life sciences colleagues, including 50 partners, principals and managing directors. Her team serves over 400 life sciences clients, headquartered in Boston, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Dallas, Raleigh, and Minneapolis, among others, with branches and supply chains that span much of the globe. These clients include 51% of Fortune 1000 life sciences companies and 47% of Russell 1000 life sciences companies.
Zara’s functional experience includes finance and tax transformation, Strategic Federal Tax Services, cost & performance improvement, finance operations, change management, strategic planning, business development, corporate integration, financial & tax strategy, business intelligence, M&A, post-merger integration and ERP financial systems.
Zara and her team offer these strengths to the clients she serves the life science and medical device industries:
- Leading cross-functional teams in the life science sector, leveraging financial acumen and regulatory know-how to optimize business performance and ensure compliance.
- Developing and executing visionary strategies that align with industry trends and emerging technologies, enabling organizations to stay ahead of the curve and capitalize on new opportunities by partnering with trade organizations as we build the Life Science ecosystem.
- Demonstrated success in navigating complex international markets, fostering partnerships, and harmonizing regulatory requirements to facilitate seamless operations and accelerated growth.
- Meticulously analyzing data, conducting client risk assessments, and implementing robust quality control measures to ensure accuracy, precision, and adherence to industry standards.
- Building high-performing teams, cultivating a culture of collaboration, and empowering individuals to reach their full potential, resulting in increased employee engagement and productivity.
- Consistently achieving and exceeding business objectives, optimizing financial performance, and driving revenue growth through effective resource allocation, process improvements, and strategic decision-making.
Zara is a winner of the 2023 HBA Luminary Award, which celebrates leaders who have significantly impacted the healthcare and life science industry. Zara serves as the executive sponsor for GT Equality and in this role, she has actively mentored others to drive impactful progress at Grant Thornton and within the industry. She is an active member of Chief, a private network designed for the most powerful women executives to strengthen their leadership, magnify their influence, and pave the way to bring others with them. For over 10 years she has been an Executive Board member at Mass Medic.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- CPA – Massachusetts
- Women in Tax – New England Region, Founding Member
- Master of Science in Taxation from the D’Armore-McKim School of Business at Northeastern University
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, B.A. in Accounting
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.