- Transportation, logistics, warehousing and distribution
- Technology and telecommunications
- Audit and assurance
Janet Malzone is Grant Thornton LLP’s national managing partner of Audit Services and a member of the firm’s Senior Leadership Team. In this role, she oversees the growth and operations of the firm’s audit-services offerings, as well as its continued focus on audit quality.
Malzone joined the firm in 2002 and has nearly 30 years of public accounting and audit experience serving public and private companies. Her clients have ranged from small entrepreneurial businesses to large multinational corporations.
Previously, Malzone served as Grant Thornton’s Audit practice leader for the firm’s Midwest region, where she focused on optimizing the client experience across the region. In that role, she also served on Grant Thornton’s Partnership Board. Prior to that, Malzone served as the firm’s Chicago Audit practice leader and as a director of the firm’s International Business Center. Additionally, she completed a two-year secondment in London, where she provided support and service delivery to Grant Thornton International Ltd member firms — guiding their U.S. financial-reporting activities and steering technical-reporting issues related to the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Malzone is a certified public accountant (CPA) in Illinois and Florida and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Illinois CPA Society. She is on the board and audit committee of the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and is a Finance Committee member of the Economic Club of Chicago. Additionally, Malzone is a member of the Chicago chapter of the International Women’s Forum. In 2017, she was named to the Most Influential Women Accountants in Chicago list by Crain’s Chicago Business. In 2010, Malzone was named a National Association of Female Executives Rising Star and the Southeast region Influential Woman of the Year by the American Society of Women Accountants.
A frequent speaker on issues relating to corporate governance, Malzone is also a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) and is NACD Directorship Certified™. In 2022, she was included on NACD’s Directorship 100: an annual list awarding the most influential leaders in and around the boardroom. She also serves as an NACD Governance Fellow and is a member of the NACD Chicago Chapter. Malzone received a master’s degree in accounting from the University of Central Florida and a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Florida State University.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- CPA — Illinois, Florida
- NACD Directorship Certified™
- National Association for of Female Executives
- Leadership Charlotte, Graduate
- Finance Executives International
- Association for Corporate Growth, Past Treasurer
- Charlotte’s Top 25 Women in Business, 2010
- NAFE Rising Star, 2010
- American Society of Women Accountants Influential Woman of the Year, Southeast Region, 2010
- 2017 Most Influential Women Accountants in Chicago by Crain’s Chicago Business
- NACD Directorship 100 recipient, 2022
Presentations and Publications
- Retaining Young Professionals Requires Board Thoughtfulness
- Three Approaches for Encouraging Innovation
- Defining Innovation in Relation to Risk and Failure
- Audit Committees Spotlight: What audit committees can do to stay on top of tax risk
- Lurie’s Children’s Hospital, Audit Committee Member
- International Women’s Forum, Treasurer
- Economic Club of Chicago, Finance Committee
- NACD, Member
- MS, Accounting, University of Central Florida
BS, Accounting, Florida State University
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.